OREGON DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION – DIVISION 20
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (581-020-0130)
21st Century Schools Council
(1) Each school site shall establish a 21st Century Schools Council (site council). The duties of the site council shall include, but not be limited to:
(a) The development of plans to improve the professional growth of the school’s staff;
(b) The improvement of the school’s instructional program;
(c) The development and coordination of plans for the implementation of programs under Oregon’s Education Act for the 21st Century at the school; and
(d) The administration of grants-in-aid for the professional development of teachers and classified district employees.
(2) Members of the site council shall include licensed and classified staff from the building, parents of students attending the school, the building administrator or the administrator’s designee, and any other members as determined to be appropriate by the site council, including but not limited to community members, students and business leaders. Site council composition shall be as follows:
(a) Neither parents nor teachers shall make up a majority of the site council;
(b) At least one member shall be a classified employee of the district;
(c) One member shall be the building administrator or the administrator’s designee.
(3) Members shall be selected for the site council as follows:
(a) Licensed staff shall elect their representatives to the site council;
(b) Classified staff shall elect their representative(s) to the site council;
(c) Parents shall be selected by a process to be defined by the local school board; and
(d) Other representatives shall be selected by the council.
(4) If a school council cannot meet the requirements for composition as described in this rule or determines that the needs of the school require a different composition, the district school board may establish the school site council in a manner that best meets the needs of the district.
(5) All site council meetings shall be subject to the open meeting law pursuant to ORS 192.610 to 192.690.
(6) Nothing in this rule shall interfere with the duties, responsibilities and rights of duly elected district school boards.