Assistive Technology Device
Assistive Technology devices and services are available to students who are on an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504.
“Assistive technology device means any item, piece of equipment, or product…that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of a child with a disability. It is not a medical device that is surgically implanted, or a replacement for that device.”
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA)
Assistive Technology Services
Assistive technology services means any service that directly assists a child with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device.
The term includes:
- The evaluation of the Assisitive Technology needs of a child;
- Acquisition of Assistive Technology devices;
- Customizing and repairing of Assistive Technology devices;
- Coordination with other therapies and interventions;
- Training for the child; and
- Training or technical assistance for professionals