1. If my student currently rides a district bus do I need to register them for transportation services?
Beginning with the 2022-23 school year, student will need to register to ride the bus each year. They must be in a bus eligible zone for the school they attend.
2. If my student is not currently riding a district bus and I want them to start riding, do I need to register for transportation services?
Yes, existing students currently not riding the bus as well as new students arriving at the district will need to register for transportation services in order to receive a bus pass for the current school year.
3. If my student is on an IEP or IFSP that requires transportation, do I need to register my student for transportation services?
No, parents of students with transportation in their IEP or IFSP will be registered for transportation services through the IEP/IFSP process.
4. How do I register my student for transportation services?
An online registration link will be posted on the Bus Pass Program page in the Summer of 2022.
5. How does bus badge work?
David Douglas School District partnered with the company Zonar to provide the badges for the District’s standard bus pass. The badges are passive Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) cards. They will be scanned as students enter and exit the bus recording the card number, location, and time. Select district staff and parents will have access this information. Parents can view ridership information by using the ridership alerts app from Zonar. Register for a Zpass+ account
6. Is there sensitive student information stored on my student’s bus badge?
No, the only information that is stored on the badge is a randomly generated number that is only meaningful to the Zonar program. A lost or stolen badge does not put sensitive student information at risk.
7. What is the cost to get a bus pass?
There is no cost for families to participate in the program, receive the badge, or to download the ridership alerts app.
8. What happens if my student loses their bus pass badge?
In the event of a lost badge, immediately notify either the DDSD Transportation Department (503-256-6526), bus driver or school to request a replacement badge. The first replacement is free, however additional replacement badges may result in a $3 replacement fee. Students who lose their bus pass are required to obtain a temporary pass each day from the school office until they receive a replacement badge.
9. What happens if my student forgets to bring their badge to the bus stop in the morning?
Students will be allowed to ride the bus to school. But in order to board the bus in the afternoon, they will need to get a temporary bus pass at the school office.
10. Does the DDSD Bus Pass work on Tri-Met?
No. The pass is only for DDSD bus use.
11. How do I get the Zonar’s Ridership Alerts App?
Start by registering for an app account. As part of the registration process, you will need to enter your child’s RFID#. The number is located the back of their bus pass. Once registered, you can view your child’s activity either online at www.zpassplus.com or with their app. Download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
12. Is participation in the Bus Pass Program mandatory?
Yes, all district bus riders will need to have a bus pass to ride a district school bus.
13. Is participation in the electronic tracking portion of the Bus Pass Program mandatory?
No, while participation in the electronic tracking portion of the program is highly encouraged, participation is not mandatory. Parents, as well as students 14 and older, may opt out of the electronic tracking capabilities of the Bus Pass Program by completing the electronic opt out form posted on this page . It is important to note that even if you elect to opt out of the electronic tracking portion of the program, your student will still need to use their bus pass to board the school bus.
14. What does it mean to opt out of the electronic tracking portion of the Bus Pass Program?
All bus riders will be issued a badge they must carry to ride the bus. However, there is an option to opt out of the electronic tracking portion of the program. Instead of scanning the card when entering the bus, the student will show their badge to the driver, in order to board.
15. What happens with the bus badge at the end of the school year?
Badges are only valid for one school year. We ask that parents discard the badges at the end of the year. At the beginning of the next school year, parents will register their student(s) for transportation services and new bus passes will be issued.
16. What is passive RFID technology?
RFID (radio frequency identification) is a form of wireless communication that incorporates the use of electromagnetic or electrostatic coupling in the radio frequency portion of the electromagnetic spectrum to uniquely identify an object. Passive RFID, the type of RFID used by the Zonar Ridership Program, does not have a local power source or a built-in battery. It is powered by electromagnetic energy transmitted from the RFID reader located on the school bus. The power from the reader induces a current that allows the card to be read.